Whereas, The Church Of God In Christ believes the Bible to be the only inspired and infallible written Word Of God, and;
Whereas the Bible clearly states that human beings are created in God’s Image (Genesis 1:26-31) and that God has a special care for individuals (Psalm 8:5-7)
Whereas, the Bible clearly states that Children are a blessing from the Lord (Psalm 127:3, Genesis 4:1) Further, the Bible is clear that life begins at conception in the womb (Psalm 139:13,15; Psalm 22:10-11, Galatians 1:15, Luke 1:41, Jeremiah 1:5). Additionally, modern technological advances and data confirm this Biblical concept. A child in the womb is a person.
Whereas abortion is the killing of the innocent, which is against Scripture (Exodus 20:13, Psalm 106:35-38, 2 Kings 17:17, Deuteronomy 5:17, Revelation 22:15).
Abortion is genocide. Abortion must end to protect the life of the unborn.
The Church Of God In Christ opposes elective abortions. This issue of personhood has haunted America since the Dred Scott, Plessy v. Ferguson and Roe vs. Wade decisions. Just as slavery was overturned in America, Jim Crow was defeated, and Nazi Germany was overthrown, it is our prayer that the heinous industry of abortion will become morally reprehensible worldwide.
Whereas, we believe that the following items must be the way to deal with unplanned pregnancies while addressing the current crisis:
- Proactive Abstinence Education for students
- Bible based Sexual Education that supports Marriage and Family
- Alternatives to Abortion (i.e. Adoption, Family Support, and education)
- Counseling and support for women and men who are suffering silently from post-abortive trauma.
- Funding of Clinics that provide full range of Women’s Health Care that excludes elective abortions (i.e. mammograms, sexually transmitted disease testing, pre-natal care, parenting support, early childhood support)
- Increased community safety net parental support, especially from our churches to include, respite child care, financial support, education and other creative ways to support parents.
Be it resolved that the Church of God In Christ is very concerned about the health and well being of women, however the killing of the innocent is not health care.
Therefore be it finally resolved that the Church of God In Christ denounces the systematic destruction of human life by way of abortion. We believe in and support the sanctity of human life.
Submitted this day, November 12, 2019, by the General Assembly Resolution Committee Vice Chairman: Elder Willie Bonner, Sr., Elder Jerry Walker, Secretary and the committee members:
Elder Clyde Brown Elder Roland Joyner Elder Aaron Tolbert
Supv Lenora Early Bishop Kevin Knight, Sr. Dr. Angela Wilson
Elder Myrick Fondren Elder Herman Platt Dr. Cleon Sykes
Elder Barry Fraser Dr. Hazel Shepherd Elder Wilbur Vincent
Elder Gilbert Ginyard, Sr. Dr. Phillips Jackson Elder David Taylor
Dr. Rozario Slack Admin Althea Howard